Saturday, November 13

Our One Year Anniversary Vacation

This past year has simply blown right on by.  It's now been over a year since Josh and I said, "I do," and in celebration of our anniversary we booked a trip to Destin, Florida.

Thursday morning we were up bright and early packing our things in the car, we dropped Charlie off with my family and Mom drove us out to the airport.  We got there around 7:45 and our flight was scheduled for take off at 8:15.  American Airlines has a policy that as long as you're checked in before the 10 minute cutoff you can board the plane.  Unfortunately we got a grumpy lady to check us in and she said there was no way we would make it to our gate in time so she changed us to a later stand by flight. 

We were crushed!  Turns out we could have made it to the plane in plenty of time, the woman who checked us in ended up getting reprimanded by her supervisor after I complained.  Long story short, Josh and I sat in the airport for another 5 hours before we could catch another flight.  We passed time by playing Angry Birds on our phones and card games on our pillows.  Finally, at 1:30 we were on our way to Florida. 

After picking up our rental car and making the one hour trip to Destin from Pensacola, it was evening time.  We checked into our amazing condo, took in the sites and sounds of the beautiful ocean view and then headed out for dinner at McGuire's Irish Pub.  Josh had the steak and I had an amazing sandwich.  With our stomachs full we headed back to our condo to get a good night's sleep. 

The next day we spent on the beach.  We fell asleep in the sun, played in the ocean, did some grocery shopping and enjoyed our time relaxing.  While playing in the ocean Josh met up with a not so friendly crab and got his poor pinky toe pinched. He tried to hide it but I could tell something had happened, he was afraid that if he told me I wouldn't get back in the water. :)

That night, dressed in blue to support our Rangers in their World Series game, we headed out to a shopping center and had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.  The food was incredible and I've been craving the apple crisp I had for desert ever since!  Even better, the Rangers won their first World Series game ever that night.

The next day our friends Dwayne and Kirstin drove in from Tallahassee to spend the next two days with us.  We headed out to the jetties to see if we could do some snorkeling.  Dwayne was the only one brave enough to get in the water as on our long walk to the jetties we spotted several jelly fish that had been washed up on the sands.  He was in for maybe ten minutes before he got right back out.  He had gotten stung by jelly fish on both arms and one of his legs.  OUCH! 

After that we headed to Fudpucker's for lunch.  This place was really unique, bright and colorfully painted it also had an area full of alligators, not to mention the food was wonderful.  We finally made it back to the condo and onto the beach where Dwayne showed us how to really enjoy the sand by making what they call, "sand beds."  I had a blast when I discovered that seagulls would hover over you if you had food and enjoyed some time feeding them despite Josh and Kirstin's pleas for me to restrain myself.  It was way too much fun not to do.  :)

While playing in the sand I ended up getting stung twice by stray jelly fish tentacles and decided it was best to stay in my sand bed.  After going out to dinner that night at Fisherman's Wharf we played games and enjoyed their company for the rest of the evening before finally calling it a night.

The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast at Another Broken Egg Cafe and then headed to the outlet mall to do some shopping.  We talked them into staying just a little longer for one more afternoon on the beach.  Unfortunately there were still Jelly fish and the tide was getting really rough, but we found ways to entertain ourselves.  Dwayne was dying to bury someone in the sand so I volunteered just so long as the sand didn't go past my thighs.  I had to explain to them that sand gets into way too many terrible places and I wanted to avoid that at all costs. :) So I was buried up to my thighs and left to fend for myself in getting back out. 

After they left to head back home, Josh and I got ready to go out to celebrate our anniversary.  We got all dressed up and headed to Ruth's Chris for a romantic dinner.  We had Ruth's Chris for the first time together in Hawaii on our vacation so it was very fitting that we went for our one year.  The food was phenomenal.  We ate every single bite of our steaks, mashed potatoes and even our desert! 

The next morning around 3:00 I received a phone call from my mom, they were headed to the hospital because Melanie was finally in labor and starting to push.  I could have cried I was so excited!  I had a hard time sleeping the rest of the night.  Matthew was born early morning on Monday, October 25th weighing in at 6lbs 14oz and 19 inches long.  I hated that we had to miss the birth but was just thankful for a healthy mommy and baby.

Monday and Tuesday were spent lying on the beach and doing a little more shopping at the outlet malls.  Unfortunately there were double red flags up which meant we couldn't get in the water.  We still really enjoyed lounging and relaxing on the beach.

Wednesday we were all packed up and ready to go.  We spent the morning on the beach, took a long walk and really tried to take in all of the beautiful scenery before we left.  We were shocked to see several Man o War washed up on the shore and had to be very careful of where we stepped. 

We spent the rest of the day driving to Pensacola, had lunch at an awesome sports bar and then headed to the airport super early to avoid missing our flight.  We ended up getting there so early that we caught an earlier flight home and Josh was able to get home in time to watch the Rangers play in the World Series with all of his friends.  While he did that I drove to my parent's house to finally meet my beautiful nephew. 

I teared up seeing him for the first time.  He is this tiny little bundle with the most beautiful blue eyes, a perfect nose and a beautiful mouth.  He looks a lot like his mommy.  Holding him for the first time was one of the best moments I've ever experienced in my entire life.  He's been such a wonderful addition to our family! 

It was a busy, fun packed vacation and we had a wonderful time celebrating together.  Next year will probably be a little more low key, but we are just thankful that we were able to have such a great anniversary vacation this year.  :)

1 comment:

Daniel Nabors Jr said...

Looked like a fun trip I use to live out around Destin in a place called Navarre have a blessed day!